POSITION: Intermediate Environmental Scientist / Project Manager
LOCATION: Fort St. John, BC; Full Time Position
ROY NORTHERN LAND AND ENVIRONMENTAL is an expanding progressive surface land and environmental consulting firm with an interest in oil and gas, forestry, mining, energy, and agricultural industries, as well as municipal authorities throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and Canada’s north. We employ a team of over 70 staff members located in our Fairview, Calgary, Fort St. John, and Terrace offices, and we offer interdisciplinary expertise to develop environmental solutions for our clients throughout western Canada. For 40 years, we have directly assisted clients in regulatory application and have provided consulting expertise on environmental legislation, regulations and guideline compliance related to project planning, development, and reclamation. We know great things happen when smart people with equal amounts of talent and determination come together to create what could not be done alone. Help us do great things!
- Graduate of a recognized Post Secondary institution or college the field of Biology, Ecology, or Environmental Sciences
- 3+ years of relevant environmental consulting experience (in NE BC oil and gas preferred)
- This position requires membership, or eligibility for membership, in the BC College of Applied Biologists (preferred) or the BC Institute for Agrologists
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, and other MS Office programs
- Current Safety Tickets (i.e., First Aid, H2S) preferred
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Residency
- Ability to coordinate project planning, logistics, and preparation for field work
- Understanding of applicable environmental regulations, guidelines, and associated industry practices within BC
- Familiar with BC Oil and Gas Commission regulations
- Technical experience with BC’s vegetation and wildlife species
- Strong commitment to health and safety leadership
- Excellent attention to detail, well organized, and reliable
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively
- Ability to collect, manage, and report on accurate and up-to-date field information
- Ownership attitude and accountability for completing tasks on time and on budget
- Resourcefulness, constantly troubleshooting, knows the tools available and uses them appropriately
- Strong oral communication skills, can effectively communicate with clients, peers, suppliers, and contractors
- Strong written communication and technical report writing skills
- Ability to work under harsh environmental and weather conditions on occasion
- Physically fit
- A team player!
- Interface with staff and clients to setup, manage, and report on environmental services related to upstream oil and gas facilities and regulatory requirements
- Asist with building and maintaining positive client relationship focused on providing top quality service and project management excellence
- Takes direction from and supports intermediate and senior staff to achieve project and business goals
- Contributes to projects with focus on data collection/processing, increasing role in analysis/interpretation, reporting and project management
- Assist with and/or lead field assessments as required on oil and gas facilities on crown land, including watercourse, wetland, vegetation, soil, timber, and wildlife assessments, including travel
- Conduct baseline field studies, construction compliance monitoring, site reconnaissance, field biological surveys, client meetings, etc.
- Undertake assignments that may involve travel and periods of time away from home office (camp/shift work on occasion)
- Complete technical reporting for Pre-Construction Site Assessments, Schedule “A” Soil Assessments, Fish Habitat Assessments, Watercourse Classification & Mitigation Reports, Wetland Classification & Mitigation Reports, Wildlife Assessments and Wildlife Habitat Features Reports, Environmental Protection Plans, and reclamation reports
- Full Time Position
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Vacation and Personal Time
- Group Life and Health Benefits
- Wellness Program and Professional Development Support
- RRSP and Employer Contributions
- Compensation packages will be determined based on candidate’s experience, education, and overall suitability for position.
Please email applications to email@example.com. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. We thank all applicants for applying and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.